If you want to protect your laptop from theft, laptop locks are a must-have, regardless of whether you work from home, in a coffee shop, or in a classroom. In today’s world, more and more employees are working remotely, and laptop locks are a reliable, simple way to prevent someone from gaining access to your information or from stealing your equipment wherever you are.
There are, however, some locks that are better than others. The best laptop locks are those that meet your budget, security needs, and equipment requirements. Check out our list of the top laptop locks available today.
Our Best Laptop Lock Reviews
Kensington Combination Cable Lock
- Computer lock for HP, Lenovo, Acer, Asus and other brands; not compatible with Dell or Alienware (see part # K68008WW)
- Resettable 4-wheel Number code with 10, 000 possible combinations. Push-button design for one-handed engagement to easily attach lock
- 6’ long carbon steel cable is cut-resistant and anchors to desks, tables, or any fixed structure
- Attaches to laptops, desktops, TVs, monitors, hard drives, docking stations, projectors or any other device featuring a Kensington standard size security slot
- Independently verified and tested for industry-leading standards in torque/pull, foreign implements, lock lifecycle, corrosion, key strength and other environmental condition
As far as laptop security is concerned, Kensington is a household name. Several laptop manufacturers specify whether their devices come with Kensington locks due to their durability. Integrated into this lock is a woven carbon steel cable that provides cut resistance. It must be used with a Kensington Lock Slot.
FOLAI Combination Lock
- 6.5 Foot Universal Security Cable,5.0mm dia, suitable for most digital devices fitted with a security slot 6-foot cable length.
- The lock offers 10,000 different combination codes that can be selected by the user so it's personalized and more easily remembered.
- For iPad,Macbook and other tablets without security lockholes.
- Made of strong twisted steel, the cable is cut resistant and 100% reliable and Anti Theft.
- The product is damaged or missing parts within 3 months. Please contact us. We will send you a new product.
This combination lock can be used on any device with a security slot. The cable is six feet long and is cut-resistant. With the adhesive security plate, even devices without a lock slot can use this setup. Don’t place the security plate flush with a table or desk, as it will bump the device.
iDOO USB Fingerprint Reader
With this lock, you can scan your finger to add another layer of security to your computer, though it won’t prevent someone from opening it, stealing it, or using your regular password (or the backup PIN you must set up to use this device). Only those with very complicated passwords which are unable to type them manually should use this device. Here’s how to prevent hackers from accessing those people’s internal files (almost) foolproof. Reviewers indicate that the iDOO Lockey can operate only on Windows OSes and USB 2.0 ports.
Maclocks Blade Universal Laptop and Tablet Bracket
- Universal lock - compatible with any netbook, tablet or laptop
- Industrial strength 3M VHB adhesive
- Retractable "Blade" standard security slot
- Extremely durable; can hold in excess of 100 pounds of force
- Raised to improve airflow and ventilation
The MacBook lacks a built-in lock slot, unlike most laptops. The Maclocks Blade fixes this issue.
A switchblade-style arm and a Kensington-style lock slot are included on the bracket that attaches to the bottom of your MacBook. After that, you can select any Kensington lock you prefer.
Staples WordLock for Notebook Computers
- Kensington T-bar locking technology, the lock attaches to the Kensington security slot found on most HP, Lenovo, Acer, Asus, Toshiba and Samsung notebooks and computers
- Resettable 4-letter Word code with 10, 000 possible combinations; push-button design for one-handed engagement to easily attach lock
- Self-coiling cable stretches to 6’ and shrinks to 3” for easy packing; attaches to laptops, desktops, TVs, monitors, hard drives, docking stations, projectors or any other device Featuring a Kensington security slot; can anchor to desk, table, or any fixed structure
- NOTE: Will not work with 2016 and newer Dell and Alien ware laptops and tablets including some Inspiron, Latitude, Venue, XPS, and Chromebook 13 models that use the Noble wedge lock slot. See Kensington part# K68008WW or K64440WW. Please review your device’s technical specifications, and use our lock selector at Kensington dotcom/locks elector
- 2 year ; TAA compliant
If numbers don’t appeal to you, Staples offers a variation on a traditional combination lock that relies on letters instead of numbers. Words are used in place of numbers instead of combinations. When creating a password, you should use words that are easily recognizable, so it will be easier to gain access to the lock. It would be much better for you to use AGBJ over BIKE. This is a good option for people who remember letters better than numbers.
Ruban Notebook Lock and Security Cable
- Rocstor exclusive 8' High-carbon, Cut-resistant Steel Cable
- Included cable trap secures
- Using the 6ft heavy-duty Rocbolt cable keyed lock system
- Backed by Two Year Limited Warranty
RUBAN offers a key-secured laptop lock if remembering a combination is not your thing. As with conventional locks, this one comes with two keys, unlike more complex locks that require combinations of numbers and letters for unlocking.
Purchasing a laptop lock: Things to consider
- The locking mechanism: There are different types of laptop locks, with a variety of locking mechanisms. Others have a keyed lock, and some use an electronic lock or combination lock. Consider the level of security you require, along with your personal tastes, when choosing the right lock. An electronic or combination lock may be a better choice if you tend to lose keys.
- Strength of the core: Durable cords are a must-have for the best laptop locks. Since the cord is connected to a laptop, a thief could just stroll by and cut it. Cords made from strong material and difficult to cut are the best anti-theft cords.
- Weight: There are many laptop locks available that are extremely lightweight and portable. Some options might be heavier, but they may also be built for different uses, such as securing several pieces of equipment at once. Finding a lightweight lock is a must if you travel or work in various locations.
- Features and design: You should look for a laptop lock that has a design that fits the type of equipment you have. If your computer has a Kensington lock slot, make sure the lock is compatible with it. A lock can be attached to your device in a number of ways if it isn’t already affixed. In addition, if you move your laptop a lot or tend to walk around a lot, you may want a lock that rotates. You may want to look for a type of design that is most suitable for your everyday needs.
- Ease of installation: Laptop locks that feature Kensington lock slots are typically pretty straightforward to install. You may need to use an adhesive if your computer does not have a lock slot. Generally, installations are pretty simple, but sometimes a combination lock needs to be set.
Do laptop locks really work?
It’s not the coolest thing to do, however, to physically lock your laptop to an immovable object. A laptop lock essentially works the same way as a bicycle chain lock: You wrap a metal cable around an object that is large and immovable, such as your desk.
How do I securely lock my laptop?
If you need to leave your PC unattended, the easiest way to lock it is by pressing the Windows key + L. You can lock your device in just a few seconds by pressing this keyboard command. Your PC will need to be logged in as a different user, or the password will have to be entered if someone tries to use your computer.
Is Kensington lock good?
Despite the fact that Kensington makes many good locks, its Kensington Combination Laptop Lock offers an ideal combination of price, security, and ease of use. The Kensington Lock Slot isn’t available on your laptop, or if you prefer a lock and key over a combination, you can use another option.
The best laptop locks will keep your belongings protected whether you’re at the office, at a coffee shop, or on the go. You can use these products to make sure your expensive equipment stays safe at an affordable price. Make sure you check first to make sure the lock you are considering is compatible with your laptop before you buy. In addition to our picks for the best parental control apps, you may also want to consider checking out our picks for the best laptops for children.