There are a lot of factors to consider when it comes time to buy a computer. One of the most important decisions you’ll make is whether to buy a RAM laptop vs desktop. In terms of RAM, laptops usually come with less RAM than desktops. So what’s the best option for you?
It depends on your needs. If you need a lot of gaming or video editing RAM, then a desktop is probably the way. But if you just need a computer for general use, a laptop with less RAM will be fine.
Here’s a closer look at the RAM options for laptops and desktops:
RAM Laptop Vs Desktop: At A Glance
What is the RAM laptop?
RAM, or Random Access Memory, is a very important factor when purchasing a laptop. This is because the RAM dictates how many processes your computer can run simultaneously.
For instance, if you are working on a document and have a web browser open, the RAM will dictate how quickly that document will save and how smoothly the webpage will load.
In general, you want as much RAM as possible in your laptop- 8GB or more is ideal. Some laptops come with 16GB of RAM, but this is overkill for most people. If you are unsure how much RAM your computer needs, many online tools can help you decide.
- 3200MHz RAM can downclock to 2933MHz or 2666MHz if system specification only supports 2933MHz or 2666MHz
- Improve your system's responsiveness, run apps faster and multitask with ease
- Compatibility assurance when using the Crucial System Scanner or Crucial Advisor Tool
- Micron quality and reliability is backed by superior component and module level testing and 42 years of memory expertise
- ECC Type Non-ECC, Form Factor SODIMM, Pin Count 260-pin, PC Speed PC4-25600, Voltage 12V, Rank and Configuration 1Rx16, 1Rx8 or 2Rx8
- 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM kit for 8th Generation or newer Intel Core i7, and AMD Ryzen 4000 Series notebooks
- Auto-overclocking with compatible notebooks (no BIOS configuration required)
- 22-22-22-53 latency
- The ZEUS SO-DIMM 3200MHz CL16 is only compatible with laptops equipped with 【XMP functions】. If your laptop does NOT support XMP, the SO-DIMM 3200MHz CL16 is only operational at a 2666MHz CL19 frequency. For any other frequencies, we recommend opting for SO-DIMM 2666MHz CL19 or 3200MHz CL22 products based on the laptop specs.
- Lightning Bolt design element
- Born for gaming, a great choice for gamers who want to get upgraded
- High quality IC with stable performance & trustworthy compatibility
- Lifetime warranty
- Adherence to JEDEC and compliance to RoHS with respect to environmental protection regulation, production and manufacturing
- All new generation product of DRAM module. Strict test and verification procedures are performed for products
- Lifetime warranty and Free technical support
- Installation video is attached in product image
- DDR4 32GB 3200MHz (PC4-25600) CL22 SODIMM 260-Pin Laptop Notebook Memory
- All new generation product of DRAM module
- 1.2V memory module
- Backed by a lifetime warranty
What is the desktop?
A desktop is a personal computer in a form factor that is larger than a laptop. They typically have more powerful components, which makes them better suited for gaming or professional use, and they come in a wider variety of configurations.
The downside to desktops is that they take up more space and are more expensive than laptops.
- ✅【Doubule-Modes Connectivity】This wireless mechanical gaming keyboard, Concise design with 83 keys total. Can be connected in 2 modes of type-C wired, Bluetooth5.0, 2.4Ghz, so that the keyboard has good connection compatibility. Retro Typewriter Keyboard can store up to 3 devices in BT mode, allowing you to switch between your tablet, laptop and phone. Compatible with windows / macos / android. Good for gaming editing typing.
- ✅【 Classical Retro and High Quality 】：Mechanical Wireless Typewriter Keyboard are made by aluminum alloy metal electroplated wood grain, mate black pull rods and rollers, and electroplated Punk Round Keys. Every detail is perfect to present the retro.
- ✅【Backlit Switch lights】: You can adjust the white Led lights mode by pulling the lever, which is interesting when work. You can also adjust the volume and brightness of the light by twisting the wheels. Adjustable brightness and flow speed. The steampunk vibe and retro to bring you a vintage and modern combination of cool game mode.
- ✅【GAMING KEYBOARD COMPATIBILITY】: Compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP, Mac operating system supported: Mac OS X 10.10, Mac OS X 10.11, Mac OS X 10.12, Mac OS X 10.13, Mac OS X 10.14. Works well with all major Computers Brands and Gaming PC
- ✅【Our Promise To You】: We are a Brand company and we care about our customers! If you're not happy, we're not happy. We want you to buy our mechanical keyboard with confidence, so we provide 1 Year Warranty and if we can be of assistance in any way, please don't hesitate to contact us.
- 【Upgraded to 16GB memory for full-power multitasking】 Plenty of high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run your games and photo- and video-editing applications, as well as multiple programs and browser tabs all at once.
- 【Upgraded to 1TB SSD】Provides massive storage space for huge files, so that you can store important digital data and work your way through it with ease. It gives you enormous space to save all of your files.
- 【Intel Pentium Silver N5000】4-Core, 4 Threads, Base Clock 1.1GHz，Max. Boost Clock Up to 2.7GHz. Intel UHD Graphics 605
- 【15.6" HD Display with Webcam & Mic】15.6-inch diagonal HD SVA BrightView micro-edge WLED. Webcam with Mic. Microsoft Office 365 Personal 1-year, Bundled with ROKC HDMI Cable
- 【Connectivity】1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C, 2 SuperSpeed USB Type-A, 1 headphone/microphone combo, 1 HDMI 1.4b, 1 Rj-45, 1 Multi-format SD media card reader, 1 AC smart pin, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 【Windows 11 Home】
- 1.4 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 Processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz) with 3MB Shared L3 Cache
- 500 GB Serial ATA Drive
- 8 GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM, OS X Mavericks
- 21.5-Inch (diagonal) LED-backlit IPS Display; 1920-by-1080 Resolution; Intel HD Graphics 5000
- 【Plug and Play Wired Mouse】Plug the wired mouse into your computer or laptop; it can work quickly in about 10 seconds, no driver required. With strong folding resistance, this soft rubber mouse cord has a 4.9 ft (1.5m) length and can move and respond sensitively and quickly.
- 【Colorful Light】With seven different color RGB lights, this wired optical mouse will change soothing rainbow color around the base of the mouse while in use, which will give you a fancy and calm atmosphere during gaming or working, and you can turn off the light if you do not need.
- 【High-Precision】With 1000-1600-3200-6400 DPI sensitivity and high optical sensor technology, this highly advanced wired mouse can bring you favorable cursor control.You can switch 4 DPI with four different lighting colors and a scroll wheel to speed through long documents or web pages.
- 【Ergonomic Design】The palm grip and convex arc shape can relax and comfort your hand even when clicking the whole day.The perfect weight of 79g is excellent for the hand to move the wired mouse sensitively and quickly so you can focus on your work without interruption.
- 【Wide Compatibility】This wired computer mouse has a wide range of compatibility.It can work with your laptop and PC compatible with Windows 7/ 8/ 10/ XP/ Vista/ iPad/ Mac OS. Package is including 1* wired mouse (MC229 / WM229) + 1* instruction.
- All-Day Battery Life – Go longer than ever with up to 18 hours of battery life.
- Powerful Performance – Take on everything from professional-quality editing to action-packed gaming with ease. The Apple M1 chip with an 8-core CPU delivers up to 3.5x faster performance than the previous generation while using way less power.
- Superfast Memory – 8GB of unified memory makes your entire system speedy and responsive. That way it can support tasks like memory-hogging multitab browsing and opening a huge graphic file quickly and easily.
- Stunning Display – With a 13.3 inch Retina display, images come alive with new levels of realism. Text is sharp and clear, and colors are more vibrant.
- Why Mac – Easy to learn. Easy to set up. Astoundingly powerful. Intuitive. Packed with apps to use right out of the box. Mac is designed to let you work, play, and create like never before.
RAM Laptop Vs Desktop: What Are The Similarities?
There are many similarities between RAM laptop vs desktop. Both use RAM to store data, which is why RAM is important when choosing between the 2. In addition, both have CPUs, hard drives, graphics cards, and operating systems.
Besides, they are both computers. They have parts like processors, hard drives, and operating systems. They also may have the same amount of RAM.
RAM Laptop Vs Desktop: What Are The Differences?
There are several key differences between RAM in laptops and desktops.
The first is that laptop RAM is often integrated into the motherboard, while desktop RAM is a separate component. This means we cannot upgrade laptop RAM as easily or cheaply as desktop RAM.
Storage capacity of RAM laptop vs desktop are important factors to consider when purchasing a computer.
A RAM laptop is usually smaller in size due to the limited space inside a laptop. A desktop typically has more slots for RAM, allowing you to upgrade the storage capacity at any time.
A laptop’s storage capacity is usually measured in gigabytes (GB), while a desktop’s storage capacity is usually measured in terabytes (TB). A laptop typically has a lower storage capacity than a desktop.
This is because laptops are lightweight and portable, while desktops are designed for use in one place.
The pin count of RAM laptop vs desktops are different.
Laptops use a 200-pin SODIMM, while desktops generally use a 240-pin DIMM. The number of pins refers to the module’s electrical connections. This difference is due to the form factor of each type of device.
A laptop’s motherboard is much smaller than a desktop’s, so there isn’t room for a DIMM that’s as large as those used in desktops.
RAM size is important when choosing between a laptop and a desktop computer.
RAM Laptop has less space as compared to a Desktop. However, the RAM laptop is portable, which makes it easy to carry from one place to another. The RAM size for laptop is 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, and 16GB. The RAM size for desktop is 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB.
When deciding which computer to buy, you should consider how much RAM you need. If you only plan on using your computer for basic tasks such as browsing the internet, checking email, and using Microsoft Office, you can get away with a laptop with 4GB of RAM.
However, if you plan on using your computer for resource-intensive tasks such as video editing or gaming, you will need a desktop with at least 8GB of RAM.
In terms of compatibility, most RAM modules designed for desktop computers will work on laptops and vice versa. However, there are some important considerations to keep in mind when upgrading or to replace RAM in either type of system.
RAM laptop vs desktop is 2 different types of computer memory. RAM laptop is designed to be used in laptops, while desktop RAM is made for use in desktops. The compatibility of these 2 types of RAM can be a bit tricky, as they are not always compatible with each other.
There are a few things to remember when using laptop RAM on a desktop or vice versa. First, not all laptops use the same type of RAM as desktops. Some laptops require special, low-voltage RAM, which is incompatible with desktop computers.
Additionally, the amount of RAM a laptop can use is often limited by the size of the laptop’s memory slot. For example, a laptop with a single RAM slot may only be able to use up to 4GB of RAM, while a desktop with multiple RAM slots can support 8GB or more.
RAM laptops and desktops are 2 different types of computers that have their own unique features.
A RAM laptop is a portable device used to store and access information. It has a built-in keyboard, monitor, speakers, and microphone. A RAM laptop usually runs on battery power and has limited hard drive space.
A desktop is a non-portable device with more features than a RAM laptop. It has a separate monitor, mouse, and keyboard. A desktop usually plugs into an electrical outlet for power and has a large hard drive space.
Speed of RAM
Another thing to consider is the speed of the RAM. Laptop RAM is often slower than desktop RAM due to the lower voltage requirements. This can cause problems if you try to use laptop RAM on a desktop designed for faster RAM speeds.
The speed of RAM laptop vs desktop is one of the most important factors when it comes to performance. Generally, laptops have less RAM than desktops, which can slow them down.
However, recent technological advancements have enabled laptops to have just as much RAM as desktops. This means buying a laptop or desktop should no longer be based on RAM speed.
Another difference is that laptop RAM typically uses less power and generates less heat than desktop RAM. This makes it better suited for portable devices, where battery life and heat dissipation are important factors.
The upgradability of RAM laptops and desktop is a hot topic in the market. Some people swear by upgrading their RAM, while others think it wastes time. Let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of upgrading RAM on laptops and desktops to see which one reigns supreme.
When it comes to RAM, laptops are usually limited to 8GB. This is because most laptop manufacturers soldered the RAM onto the motherboard. This makes it very difficult to upgrade the RAM on a laptop.
If you are someone who needs more than 8GB of RAM, then a desktop is the way to go. With a desktop, you can easily upgrade the RAM by adding more sticks to the motherboard. This is much cheaper and easier than buying a new laptop.
Some laptops have upgradeable RAM, but they are few and far between. If you are set on getting a RAM upgrade for your laptop, be prepared to pay a premium.
Bios support is one of the main differences between laptops and desktops regarding RAM. Laptops typically have a smaller amount of RAM installed because they need to be as lightweight as possible to carry them around easily. Most laptop bios’ cannot handle more than 4GB of RAM, even if more is installed.
On the other hand, desktop computers are not limited in this way and can use more RAM without any problems. This is why most gamers prefer desktop machines – they need extra power for gaming applications.
Memory Card Slot
A memory card slot is a computer expansion card that allows additional storage space. Memory cards come in various sizes, such as Secure Digital (SD), CompactFlash (CF), and MultiMediaCard (MMC). Some computers have a built-in reader for one or more types of memory cards. Others require an external card reader to access the data on the card.
RAM laptops and desktops come with different memory card slots. A RAM laptop has a mini SD card slot, while a desktop computer has a full-sized SD card slot. The mini SD card slot is more difficult to use because it is so small, and the full-sized SD card slot is easier to use because it is larger.
RAM laptops and desktops are 2 devices with different functions in the market. RAM laptop is a device used to store data and files, while the RAM desktop is a device that helps run multiple progRAMs simultaneously without any lag.
The utility of a RAM laptop is more when compared to the RAM desktop because of its portability. A person can easily carry it around wherever they go as it does not require much space.
The downside is that it has a lower storage capacity than the RAM desktop. However, with technological advancements, this gap is slowly being narrowed down.
On the other hand, the utility of the RAM desktop lies in its ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without any lags or crashes. This makes it ideal for people who need to work on multiple projects simultaneously. It also has a higher storage capacity than most RAM laptops on the market today.
Which one should you buy? It depends on your needs. If you need a portable and good storage capacity, go for a RAM laptop. But if you need something that can handle multiple tasks at once without any issues, go for a RAM desktop.
Price Range of RAM Laptop vs Desktop
The price range of RAM laptops and desktops is different. RAM laptops are more expensive than RAM desktops. The reason the RAM laptop is more expensive is that the RAM laptop has a built-in battery.
There is a wide price range for RAM laptops and desktops. The cheapest RAM laptop can be found for around 200 dollars, while the most expensive RAM laptops can cost over 2000 dollars.
Similarly, the cheapest RAM desktop can be found for around 100 dollars, while the most expensive RAM desktops can cost over 4000 dollars.
RAM Laptop Vs Desktop: Who Is The Winner?
Who should buy a RAM laptop?
RAM laptops are a great choice for people who need portability, especially those who do a lot of work on the go. They’re also a good option for students or anyone on a budget since they tend to be less expensive than their desktop counterparts.
That said, RAM laptops can’t always handle as much processing power as desktops, so if you’re looking for a computer that can handle heavy-duty tasks, you may want to consider investing in a desktop instead.
Who should buy a desktop?
There are several reasons why someone might want to buy a desktop instead of a laptop. One reason is that desktops typically have more RAM than laptops. This means they can handle more applications simultaneously and are better suited for multitasking.
In addition, desktops typically have more storage space and a bigger screen than laptops, making them better for storing large files. They’re also good for people who want to use multiple monitors. Finally, desktops tend to be cheaper than laptops.
Frequently Asked Questions About RAM Laptop Vs Desktop
Can I use desktop RAM on a laptop?
Desktop RAM will work on a laptop if it has an accessible slot to install it. However, using desktop RAM will likely not offer the best performance for your laptop and could even damage the computer. It is always best to use RAM specifically designed for laptops.
Can I use laptop RAM on desktops?
Yes, you can use laptop RAM on desktops, but the opposite is not true. You can also use desktop RAM in laptops, but most laptops have a lower maximum capacity for desktop RAM than they do for laptop RAM.
So if you’re looking to upgrade your RAM and have a choice between laptop or desktop RAM, it’s usually best to go with the type of RAM specific to your computer.
Can I upgrade my laptop RAM with a desktop?
Yes, you can upgrade your laptop RAM with a desktop. Laptops and desktops use different types of RAM, so you’ll need to ensure the RAM you purchase is compatible with your computer.
In most cases, the RAM from a desktop will be too large to fit in a laptop, so you’ll need to buy a specific RAM designed for laptops.
How do I choose the right RAM for my desktop or laptop PC?
The main thing to consider when choosing RAM for your desktop or laptop PC is compatibility. Your system will only be able to use a certain type of RAM, so it’s important to make sure the RAM you choose is compatible.
In general, there are 2 types of RAM: DDR and SDRAM. DDR stands for double data rate, while SDRAM stands for synchronous dynamic random access memory. Most modern PCs use DDR RAM, while older systems might use SDRAM.
Another thing to consider when choosing RAM is speed. The higher the MHz number, the faster the RAM. However, not all systems can handle high speeds, so check your system specs before buying anything.
Finally, you’ll also want to think about storage capacity. Some RAM modules come with more than one gigabyte of storage space, which can be helpful if you plan on storing a lot of data on your computer’s RAM.
Do workstations require special RAM?
No, workstations do not require special RAM. Any RAM that is compatible with your motherboard will work in a workstation. However, a few things to consider when choosing RAM for a workstation exists.
For example, you may want to choose a higher frequency RAM to take advantage of the extra performance potential offered by workstations. Alternatively, you may opt for more memory if you plan on doing a lot of data-intensive tasks.
Should I use laptop SODIMM to DIMM memory?
Laptop SODIMM and Desktop DIMM memory are different. Laptop SODIMMs have a 200-pin connector, while desktop DIMMs have a 240-pin connector. In addition, laptop SODIMMs are single channels, while desktop DIMMs are dual channels.
Most laptops use 204-pin SODIMMs and can use either DDR3 or DDR4 memory. The RAM in your laptop is most likely 2133MHz, but it will operate at 1866MHz if you install a 2133MHz module. Your system will also be more efficient with 2 RAM sticks versus one RAM stick.
A disadvantage to using 2 RAM sticks is that if one of the RAM sticks fails, your system will not boot.
How many types does the RAM have?
There are 3 types of RAM: synchronous dynamic RAM (SDRAM), double data rate 3 synchronous DRAM (DDR3 SDRAM), and extreme data rate DRAM (XDR DRAM).
RAM is a type of memory that your computer uses to store information. RAM comes in different sizes, and the most common type is DDR3 RAM.
DDR3 RAM has 2 channels, and each channel can hold up to 16 gigabytes of data. Double data rate 3 synchronous DRAM (DDR3 SDRAM) is the most common type of RAM used in computers today. It was introduced in 2007 and is still the most popular type of RAM.
Synchronous dynamic RAM (SDRAM) was the first type of RAM to be used in computers. It was introduced in 1997, and it became obsolete in 2003.
Extreme data rate dRAM(XDR DRAM) is the newest type of RAM and is not as common as DDR3 SDRAM. XDR DRAM was introduced in 2010 and is used in high-end computers.
How do I break down a lengthy RAM module name?
When looking at a RAM module, you may wonder what those numbers and letters mean. Here’s a breakdown of what each section of a RAM module name means:
– The first number is the size of the module in GB. So, for example, “4” would mean 4GB.
– The second number is the speed of the module in MHz. So, for example, “1600” would mean 1600MHz.
– The third letter is either “B” or “D.” This stands for the buffered or unbuffered RAM, respectively. Most modern systems use unbuffered RAM.
– The fourth letter is either “R,” “J,” or “G.” This stands for registered or unregistered memory, respectively. Most modern systems use unregistered memory.
– The fifth letter indicates density – how many bits are stored per chip – with S being standard density, M being high density, and L being low-density RAM chips.
– The sixth letter is the chip organization. This usually isn’t something you need to worry about.
– The seventh letter is the module type, with “P” meaning parity and “N” meaning non-parity RAM. Most systems use non-parity RAM.
– The eighth letter indicates the number of ranks per DIMM. “1” means single rank, while “2” means dual rank RAM.
– The ninth letter is the voltage required by the module, with “L” meaning 1.25 volts and “V” meaning 2.5 volts. Most systems use 1.25-volt RAM modules.
– Finally, the last number is the cycle time in nanoseconds. So, for example, “CL9” would mean 9 nanosecond cycle times.
With all that in mind, let’s look at an example RAM module name: 4GB 1600MHz DDR3L CL9 SODIMM 1Rx8.
This RAM module is 4GB in size, operates at 1600MHz, is DDR3L RAM (low voltage), has a CL9 cycle time, is a SODIMM module (laptop RAM), has one rank and eight chips, and requires 1.25 volts.
Now that you know how to read a RAM module name, you can be sure to get the right RAM for your needs. Just be sure to check compatibility with your motherboard before purchasing!
How do I identify my RAM type?
There are a few ways to identify your RAM type. The most common way is by looking at the stickers on the modules themselves. One usually has a series of letters and numbers indicating the type of RAM.
For example, DDR3-1600 would indicate that the module is DDR3 type and runs at 1600MHz frequency.
Another way to identify your RAM type is by using a piece of software like CPU-Z. This software will give you detailed information about your system’s hardware, including the installed RAM type and speed.
Conclusion For RAM Laptop Vs Desktop
When it comes to RAM, laptops tend to have less than desktops. This is because laptops are designed to be portable and lightweight, while desktops are not. A desktop may be a better option if you need more RAM for your computer. However, if you need a powerful and portable machine, a laptop with a higher RAM capacity may be the best choice for you. We compared the RAM laptop vs desktop in this article; we hope you found useful info after reading it.
After receiving education from the prestigious Shenzhen University, I established a successful career at China Motion Telecom before making waves in 2006 with my own enterprise, Avexir Technologies. For ten years now, this technology behemoth has been providing cutting-edge RAMs and computing systems to both domestic and international markets alike – soaring through countless milestones along the way.